Thursday, 29 October 2020

Relationship of Sun and communism

The name of the band is Communism, and the song is January Sun. Therefore, I try to link this two elements together and have a clear concept for the production of the music video. 

In order to design the logo of the band, I have done some research on the Sun and communism, to see if there is any connection. A Chinese contemporary and political artist Ai Weiwei came up to my mind. Toward the later 20th century, he led societal movements challenging the Chinese Communist Party. Ai has left the presence and pressures of the society that the Chinese Government has imposed on the peoples, and that is generated into his artwork.” From a very young age I started to sense that an individual has to set an example in society.”

His art installation “Sunflower Seeds” was first exhibited in Tate Mordern Art Gallery, the art installation includes over 100 millions porcelain sunflower seeds that cover 1000 square meters. Sunflower seeds were a common theme in the Chinese Communist Party’s political propaganda during Ai’s childhood. Leader Mao would often represent himself as the sun, and the people of the China as seeds of sunflowers in artworks. Ai also explains that when he was growing up, even the poorest families in China could share seeds as a treat. The seeds represents optimism during the difficult times.

His artworks inspired me a lot, so I looked for some symbols that are related to this concept:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection