During the block week, I designed the album cover for an authentic pop solo artist. I chose photographs from my works and sketched drafts on paper. To select suitable photos, I focused on the facial expression, composition and colour palette, because this artist I am going to show is a new artist, and she has not got personal symbols in the public yet. Therefore, I need to build the identity according to the genre of the music and her personality. In order to create a sense of texture and strong attraction. I made different versions with different the layouts, colours and put various elements, for example old school, photographic film, etc by using editing softwares like VSCO and PicsArt on smart phone. Firstly, I want to make a vinyl cover, because it’s give a sense of old-style. The format for the album need to be a square, therefore, I cropped the photo from an rectangle to a 314mm*314mm. Then, I added a film filter to create the texture and increased the level of blurry. For the fonts, I chose ‘SIX GAPS’ on PicsArt with long and thin body. For the harmony, I changed the opacity to 40%s and enlarged it to cover half of the figure’s face to build a sense of mysterious. I get some feedbacks that, because this is a new artist that need to build up the popularity first, so the name should be bigger and more significant than the title of the soundtrack. Also, the left hand side of the image is a bit empty, my friend suggested to enlarge the letter ‘B’. I think the font do not fit the image very well, and haven’t offer any obvious feeling of the genre.
Personally, I think the genre is not very obvious in this image, because pop music is too diverse and do not have particular features. The other friend who is interested in music composition said, the image have a sense of old school style in the last century, and then electronic dance music in the 1990s. The good things are, I think the photograph is attractive, especially the reflection on the right eye is one of the highlights of the image. However, the design is lack of information of the genre. To develop my album, I would change the size of the title and the name. Also, the fonts need to show more information about the style of the music.



No comments:
Post a Comment